You cannot rate threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards Activity Stats

Ignore User

Air Backflow on 60GH box with replaced fans

Hi All.

I wanted to get the noise down on (and possibly squeeze a bit more hashes out of) my 60GH single.

I started by replacing the case fans with the Corsair SP 120. Worked just fine, temperature seemed slightly improved, big noise win.

I wanted to go down further on noise, and it seemed the forums were converging on the Noctua fans, so I replaced with CPU fans with Noctua NF-A9x14s. Another big win on the quiet, though thermal performance seems a little degraded (tough to say).

Here's my dilemma -- after I replaced the CPU fans (I'm 90% sure this wasn't happening with just the Corsair's and the stock CPU fans), I noticed air backflow from the intake fan. Running my finger across the surface, it seems like about 30-50% of the area of the fan is expelling air (again: from the intake fan) and the remainder is taking it in.

This seems wrong to me...and might help explain why the thermal isn't performing as I would expect.

My initial suspicions were that the intake fan wasn't generating enough static pressure (as another thread suggested), so I looked at replacing them with the Noctua NF-P12 (again, as that thread had suggested). Thing is: the NF-P12, while quieter, produces less static pressure and less airflow than the corsair. So it seems unlikely that it would help the situation.

Does anybody have any thoughts? Is the air backflow something I should just ignore?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Ignore User
    I tested exactly these Noctuas you're talking about. Silent, yes. But in terms of cooling...

My personal favorite is Antec TriCool family. They are made in both 120mm and 92mm flavors. In the 120mm fans, cfm is about 40-80, while noise is about 25-30 dBA respectively. These fans are already equipped with L-M-H switches - no need to buy rheobuses. Surely TriCools are not as quiet as Noctuas, but they also provide significantly better ventilation.

I actually use TriCools on one of my Little Singles (120mm and 92mm), and I want to try installing a 92-120mm converter on top of the heatsink and use some really powerful 120mm fan there. Ordered a Delta "fingerchopper" for that purpose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Ignore User
    I think your problem isn't the fans themselves, it is the absolutely terrible way they are put together in/on the miner. Change that atrociously awful design if you want to fix your problem.

BFL didn't just drop the ball with the design they dug a pit for the ball, threw it in, took a hot liquid shit all over it, then left it to fester and mold for 30 days.

Miner 49'er
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Latest Thread
    Underclock Single

Ignore User
    Remove case and all fans and put 2 naked circuit boards with heatpipes next to eachother and place a 200mm fan on top... this is what I plan to do.