151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1721 Post(s)
    Follow BFL_Josh On Twitter Add BFL_Josh on Facebook
    Latest Blog
    Busy day!
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards Activity Stats
    Blog Entries

Ignore User

BFL ASIC Status

From now until we ship our new ASICs, this thread will be sticky and closed. All ASIC status updates will appear here as a new post. If you want to bookmark this thread and/or RSS subscribe to it, it will only be updated with new posts when there's a new update. Each post will include a discussion thread link for discussing the update.

13 January 2013 BFL ASIC UPDATE

Hello everyone. It's been about a month since our last update and it's high time we had another, since we have lots of information to share this time around.

To start off with, our chip production is going well. I am traveling to our packaging facility in California on Wednesday the 16th of January to do a walk through with the lead developer on our ASIC team as well as speak with some of the engineers to make sure everyone is on the same page. We have confirmed with the fab directly (not through any intermediaries) that our chips will be done no later than the 31st of January and ready for delivery. I will be at the foundry prior to that date to speak with some of the engineers and accept delivery of a portion of the chips to hand deliver to our packaging facility. This means our delivery date is expected the week of the 10th of February. We know it's not the end of October and we want to deeply apologize for the delays. However, I think that once you get to the end of this post many people will understand why we've been delayed and hopefully how it will ultimately benefit all of our customers a great deal. So please, read on!

So, I know the question first and foremost on everyone's mind (besides when we are shipping) is "Why are we delayed so long?"

Several things have happened to push us out from our target date... most things have been minor, but they have added up and I have detailed many of them in previous updates and on various threads throughout the forums. However, the biggest delay we've incurred has been twofold:

1. We absolutely, positively want to ship a chip that works perfectly. We don't want to send a chip that has problem or limitations. To that end, we have made some optimizations to the final layers of silicon that we feel will benefit everyone going forward due to point two:
    2. The biggest single reason for the delay is due to a package change.

BFL ASIC Status-prodn.jpg
    When we announced the delay last month, we decided to go back and switch from our QFN package to a flip chip BGA (FCBGA) package.

This necessitated a lot of changes with regards to the PCB and packaging (obviously) and caused us to really scramble to make things happen in a reasonable time frame. We did this for a number of reasons, but primarily it was due to heat concerns. Our chips would have functioned as currently spec'd within our thermal tolerances, but we would have very little thermal headroom to really crank things up. With an eye towards the future, we decided to bite the bullet and release a product that is ready for the long haul as opposed to releasing something now that would require exotic cooling to be pushed past 80 GH/s or so.

When redesigning things, we have made some various internal changes that may cause our power usage to potentially rise slightly beyond our original spec, and we are still tweaking things from other angles to bring power usage back down. Originally, we were at about .8w per GH (Yes, we built 20% into our announcements) and we are estimating that it's possible that a worst case scenario would lead to a bit under 1.2w per GH. If that ends up being the case, then yes we will have missed our power targets and yes we will gladly pay out the bounty. However, at less than 72 watts for 60 GH/s, it's still more than 5x better than any other product. However, we still believe that our .8w / GH target is what we will ship, but we like to prepare for the worst case scenario.

I will post more information once I have a better handle on our power usage.

I am sure many people may wonder why a flip chip BGA package is better than a QFN package (and are likely wondering what exactly is the difference, but that is a discussion for another thread). In a nutshell, our QFN package has plastic on top of it. Plastic is a terrible conductor of heat, so the heat stays trapped in the chip and shed out through vias on the bottom of the board. In extreme situations, where there's lots of heat and the vias can't handle the load you end up with heat migration to places you really don't want it to be, such as the ground plane, etc... and this affects surrounding components. With a flip chip BGA package, the chip is essentially flipped over and filled with silicon on top. Silicon is an excellent thermal conductor, so the heat has no problems being shunted away from the rest of the system. With our top mounted HSF, this makes a huge impact. Originally we had potentially planned on doing a bottom mounted HSF and using the vias. It turned out that the vias could not handle the thermal load and heat would migrate all along our thermal and ground planes and had the potential to overheat a number of other components. At 60 GH/s, heat was still within thermal tolerances, but only barely. If you were in an unusually hot environment, it could potentially cross the thermal threshold and the unit would start to fail and/or throttle. Switching to this new package essentially completely eliminates this, as almost all of the heat can be wicked away through the top of the chip, leaving the board and surrounding components completely cool.

If you are wondering what a flip chip package looks like, many (most) laptop or otherwise permanently mounted CPUs are Flip Chip BGA packaging (FCBGA). In retrospect, of course this is the route we should have gone, but we believed at the time that the QFN package was adequate for our needs. Hindsight is great for making predictions and if we knew then what we knew now... but that aside, we are almost to the end of the right track now. The QFN package is not suitable for dense, high speed bitcoin mining applications. Much like the toggle rate issue in the FPGA era, issues that are not normally a prBFL ASIC Status-2013-01-11_032.jpgoblem for traditional ASIC applications become monster issues when the bitcoin beast sinks it's teeth into them, surprising and biting engineers in the butt. The only way to find some of these things out is to get bitten by them, since this is new territory for everyone.

In other news, we are implementing a queuing system in the MCU of our units, to allow multiple jobs to be queued up. This should prevent any communication latency bottlenecks. It was an often requested feature, so we are happy to say that we will be headed in that direction. With the announcement of our new Android based mining application, I want to confirm that we are in contact with developers of the other major mining applications, BFGMiner, CGminer and Bitminter. We will be sending development units to them for integration and testing as soon as we can and we are confident all three mining applications, in addition to our own Easyminer and Android miner will be ready for our units when we ship.

I have often fielded the question as to if Chinese New Year will affect our shipping. No, Chinese New Year it will not affect us. We have all of our parts needed to build the units in stock, with the exception of the chips. We have taken delivery of all of our Chinese made components at this time and they are filling up our warehouse and the assembly plant warehouse. Our fab is not located in China and our chips will be done before CNY in any event. Our packaging plant is located in California and obviously not affected by CNY, our assembly house is located in the US and thus also not affected.

BFL ASIC Status-2013-01-11_044a.jpgWith regards to upgrading your shipping, our new system should be online this week. Once we are comfortable with it, you should be able to email or phone us to upgrade your shipping to DHL, EMS, FedEx or UPS as your convenience. Email is best of course, and probably the fastest way to start the process. We have been working with Bitpay to get the ability to send non-time dependent invoices to customers and we are now able to do that, so if you want to pay in BTC, we can send you an invoice which can be paid any time as opposed with within 15 minutes. This will make upgrading your shipping or products much easier on everyone.

Our new manufacturing facility is almost complete. We will be posting a video walk through hopefully by the end of the week so that you can see the facility and all the parts we have, ready and waiting for the chips to finish baking (Mmmm delicious chips). We will accept visitors, but please call before you decide to drop by so that we know when to expect you and can make time to show you around. We are (understandably) very busy right now and I do not want to turn anyone away because everyone is already engaged with other tasks. I will be traveling a lot, as will several other members of our team, so make sure we are there if you want to talk to us about anything.

I have been in contact with both Yochdog and Kano and have a tentative date scheduled for their visit. I will be confirming dates with both of them later this week and arranging the travel plans as soon as we have everything nailed down.

I am often asked the question "If I order now, when do you expect my order to ship." This is a hard question to answer, since we don't know exactly how long it takes to assemble a unit. However, the best estimate we have for this is that if you order today, 13 January 2013, you would likely receive your order around the middle of March or possibly sooner if you're ordering a Jalapeno or a Single. Minirigs take much more time to build than the other product lines, so they will take longer to deliver. However, without actually going through a bulk assembly process, we aren't sure what the major bottle necks will be. We can do estimates and we have strived for simplicity in everything related to the SC line. To that end, it requires 4 screws per Jalapeno and 6 screws per Single. Assembly of these units should take less than 5 minutes (probably around 3 minutes) per unit, so working through our pre-order backlog should be very quick. It will take more time to box and label them than it will to assemble them. The March ship date is a worst case scenario and it's entirely possible you would get your unit much sooner than that.

Here is the currently estimated timeline, and while this is subject to change of course, it's pretty solid at this time:

• Week of January 13th
      • Travel to packaging facility for final prep and walkthrough
      • Confirm travel plans and trip details with lead ASIC engineer for trip to fab

• Week of January 20th
      • Final assembly facility prep
      • Leave for fab at the end of the week

• Week of January 26th
      • Final chips roll off the line
      • Grab suitcase, a BMW or a Peugeot and make a break for the airport, Ronin style (You can see Tom about 6 minutes, 20 seconds into the video)
      • Arrive California at chip packaging plant
      • KC facility starts assembly process of units to drop PCB into

• Week of February 3rd
      • Chips packaged
      • Packaged chips sent to assembly house
      • Assembled PCB is set for final testing and MCU programming
      • Notify users to start sending their FPGA units or BTC for trade in participants
      • Bulk assembled PCBs arrive in KC, we start dropping PCBs into waiting units
      • Boxing/labeling for shipment

• Week of February 10th
      • We implement the 1/3 shipping plan en mass
        • 1/3 of our assembled units will go to new orders in FIFO
        • 1/3 of our assembled units will go to upgrade orders
        • 1/3 will be randomly selected from both groups

• We descend upon the Post Office, DHL, UPS and FedEx like a horde of angry locust

Discussion thread for this update can be found here:

[top]13 Jan 2013 ASIC Update Discussion Thread

Last edited by BFL_Josh; 01-13-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    nrees, Davron, xertel and 24 others like this.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1721 Post(s)
    Latest Blog
    Busy day!
    Blog Entries

Ignore User
    Here is the currently estimated timeline, and while this is subject to change of course, it's pretty solid at this time. Completed items are crossed off:

• Week of January 13th
      • Travel to packaging facility for final prep and walkthrough - Complete
      • Confirm travel plans and trip details with lead ASIC engineer for trip to fab - Complete

• Week of January 20th
      • Final assembly facility prep - In progress

• Week of January 26th
      • Leave for fab/bumping facility at the end of the week
      • KC facility starts assembly process of units to drop PCB into Units being prepped!

• Week of February 3rd
      • Final chips roll off the line
      • Arrive at Bumping facility
      • Chips Bumped
      • Arrive California for Packaging (May spill into following week)
      • Chips packaged

• Week of February 10th
      • Packaged chips sent to assembly house
      • Assembled PCB is set for final testing and MCU programming
      • Notify users to start sending their FPGA units or BTC for trade in participants
      • Bulk assembled PCBs arrive in KC, we start dropping PCBs into waiting units
      • Boxing/labeling for shipment
      • We implement the 1/3 shipping plan en mass
        • 1/3 of our assembled units will go to new orders in FIFO
        • 1/3 of our assembled units will go to upgrade orders
        • 1/3 will be randomly selected from both groups

• We descend upon the Post Office like horde of angry locust. DHL, UPS and FedEx send trucks.

Last edited by BFL_Josh; 02-01-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    saphoroth, Havark, bill and 6 others like this.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1721 Post(s)
    Latest Blog
    Busy day!
    Blog Entries

Ignore User
    27 January 2013

I wanted to have a bit more information for this update, but it looks like I will have to wait until tomorrow to talk to a couple people.

The most important thing I wanted to convey to people at this time was that we have changed our initial "batch" from 12 wafers to 6 wafers, or to be more specific, it's apparently always been 6 with the additional six scheduled for about 1.5 weeks after that. Due to the short time frame between the two, there was a miscommunication as to the actual number of wafers being delivered in the first round. I don't know that this will affect any sort of shipping, since the next set of wafers will be done about when we are ready to start assembly on the first set.

The 6 wafers is actually a good set point for the "first batch" shipping, so the 1/3 plan will be implemented for the first 6 wafers and the remaining wafers will then all be FIFO. The first 6 wafers should cut into the pre-order orderbook by a decent chunk, but it obviously won't satisfy them all. We aren't sure what our yield will be on the wafers, we are running on an 80% yield speculation, but it's likely our yield will be much, much higher than that. With our design, we can have a core in a chip disabled due to dust or what have you and just bump up the other 15 cores to compensate and/or use it for a Jalapeno, so our yield will likely be much closer to 100% than other ASIC projects with more complicated chips.

We should see the bulk of what remains of the 75k chip run about 2 weeks after that, so about the time we are done shipping the other 6 wafers worth we'll have the bulk of our chips arrive and we'll start assembling/shipping those.

The bumping situation is mostly wrapped up at this point, so there should be no problem there. I know there was some talk about the final mask with regards to the bumping and that it may push the date of the chip completion back a couple days, but it shouldn't impact the timeline to speak of as a couple days on either side of the 31st of January shouldn't really make much of difference, being as it's basically a weekend and is in transit anyway. I am hoping to have confirmation with regards to that tomorrow (Monday).

I obviously haven't left for the fab yet, and Mondays call will determine when/if I leave. We have changed our bumping facility from the left coast to the right coast (North Carolina), so we may have the 6 wafers overnighted via courier to the bumping facility vs me picking them up and couriering them myself, although I will be meeting them at the bumping facility and making sure they don't sit around for a couple days while some guy eats and egg salad sandwich and wonders why there's a "priority!" box on his desk.

If you are ordering today, your expected ship date is sometime in the latter half of April as an estimate. Possibly sooner, but expect sometime in April.

Last edited by BFL_Josh; 01-28-2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added shipping date

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1721 Post(s)
    Latest Blog
    Busy day!
    Blog Entries

Ignore User
    I will most likely be headed to the fab at the end of the week to be prepared to pick up the chips next week. The broker says no later than the 8th on the chips, but most likely earlier. Even if the chips roll off the line on the 8th, it doesn't affect the timeline much. Here is the current projected timeline:

• Leave for the fab ~ Feb 1st or 2nd
    • Acquire 6 wafers earliest Feb 4th - Latest Feb 8th
    • Transport wafers same day to bumping facility
    • 2 days in bumping facility
    • Transport to substrate and packaging
    • 1 - 2 days for substrate and packaging
    • Transport to assembly house
    • < 24 hours at assembly house
    • ~1 day for chip verification/testing
    • Transport to Kansas City
    • Bulk assembly / send out demo units
    • Ship bulk units

Our timeline is still on target for the week of the 10th, probably towards the later part of the week. If the worst case scenario in every step comes to pass, we are looking at starting shipping around Monday the 18th. Best case scenario we will start shipping around Wednesday the 13th or Thursday the 14th. This is, of course, subject to change, but I will keep everyone updated when/if there are any changes.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1721 Post(s)
    Latest Blog
    Busy day!
    Blog Entries

Ignore User
    People wanted a higher resolution image of our chips, so I'm attaching one as a zip (if I upload it as a png, it will get resized automatically), so you'll have to download the attachment and unzip it to see it.

The image resolution is 4000x4000

Attached Files Attached Files
    BeeJay, burger, debz23 and 8 others like this.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1721 Post(s)
    Latest Blog
    Busy day!
    Blog Entries

Ignore User
    Here's a quick update:

We are expecting the chips on the 8th. The Fab is still maintaining that it will be the 8th, but it could be earlier than that. We are planning on the 8th though, we will have the chips sent via overnight express to our bumping and packaging facilities in California (We are not going with the North Carolina facility, as they could not meet our timeline). We are negotiating with the California bumping facility to get tooled up and ready to complete the bumping process as fast as possible. We are targeting them for being ready to bump the chips on the 14th, but it could be as late as the 18th. It should not take more than 24 hours to bump all our chips and get them to the packaging facility, where it will take another ~24 hours (probably less) to package them where I will likely be couriering them to our assembly facility.

At that point it will take less than a day to assemble some boards, where I'll send the boards to a couple test facilities to make sure everything is kosher. This step will probably take 1 - 2 days, but may take less as we tweak things. Assuming everything checks out (and we have no reason to believe it won't), we will give the assembly house the go ahead to mount the rest of the chips, which will take less than 24 hours, where I will carry them back and/or overnight express them to Kansas City and we will begin assembly and shipping operations.

So it's looking like the week of the 17th for shipping, probably a bit later in the week unless the bumping house really pulls it together, we might be able to ship as early at the 18th, but that is pretty optimistic, more likely is around the 22nd or so.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1721 Post(s)
    Latest Blog
    Busy day!
    Blog Entries

Ignore User
    8 Feb 2013

Chips have shipped from the fab and are on their way to the US. They are expected to arrive early next week (Monday or Tuesday), but since the bumping facility won't be ready until the 14th as the earliest, it isn't quite as critical. We really wanted to have the bumping facility be ready prior to the chip arrival, but there were a number of factors that lead to it taking slightly longer than anticipated. Timeline remains the same as above at this point. As we get more information, I will update more. But the chips are confirmed to have been sent.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1721 Post(s)
    Latest Blog
    Busy day!
    Blog Entries

Ignore User
    12 Feb 2013

The chips have been delivered by FedEx to the bumping facility. We will hopefully hear from the bumping facility tonight or tomorrow with regards to them, but I do not expect any movement on it until the 14th at the earliest.

But... they were here and waiting, so the biggest hurdle in terms of delivery has been achieved.

nrees, kram, TooCasual and 24 others like this.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1721 Post(s)
    Latest Blog
    Busy day!
    Blog Entries

Ignore User
    14 Feb 2013 Update

I am told that the bumping facility has started working on our order as of yesterday(!). Although I'm seeking clarification as to whether that means the actual bumping process has started or if they are still working on the NRE for the bumping, to be completed sometime between today and Monday. When I have clarification on this, I will make another post... but in either case, the chips are at the bumping facility and the bumping facility is working on them in some fashion.

I have no updates on the timeline as of yet until I hear back as to when the bumping will be complete.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1721 Post(s)
    Latest Blog
    Busy day!
    Blog Entries

Ignore User
    21 Feb 2013

The chips are still at the bumping facility. They are taking their time, much to our chagrin, to be sure we don't wreck one of the wafers with a failed bump. We are trying to determine if we need to physically go to the bumping facility and sit in someones office until it's done. We should hopefully have more information on that later tonight or tomorrow. If it turns out it would be efficacious, that's what we will do. However, perhaps my reputation will precede me and they will elect to get the job done and send the chips to the packaging facility instead of having me sitting in their office all day.

The good news is, we should be able to accelerate the second set of wafers as well as the bulk of the rest of the wafer run, allowing us to ship product en mass even sooner than we expected. This is still being negotiated, but things are looking good as far as that goes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-14-2013, 07:06 AM
  2. 06-12-2013, 07:22 AM
  3. 06-09-2013, 10:54 PM
  4. 06-03-2013, 08:25 PM
  5. 06-02-2013, 04:45 AM
  6. 06-01-2013, 01:40 AM
  7. 05-31-2013, 05:45 PM
  8. 05-30-2013, 10:30 AM
  9. 05-29-2013, 09:55 PM
  10. 05-27-2013, 09:32 PM